Friday, May 22, 2009

Up-Downs were a bad choice and Anna Advice

First I should note that the ice we skate on as of late is probably one of the more challenging ice surfaces that we’ll ever have to train on.  For example, after about a 1000 m (9 laps) the ice gets so chewed up that it’s comparably worse than the ice at the end of a Mens 5000 m (45 laps) Relay.  It kind of gets dangerous but in some ways it’s a really good thing.  I’m fairly confident that it’ll make us more comfortable when ruts get nasty on good ice.  


We had a ton of laps at pace to do today with not a whole lot of time for rest (for me that's a bad thing) as we now share the ice time on occasion with Groups 2 and 3 of the Oval program.  We get an hour, they get an hour.


Everyone seemed to manage themselves fairly well, we pushed through the program and finished it in our alloted time.  Normally after a tough program like that we’d have a fair number of hours off before our next program...  Not today though, we had a dry land program which is argumentatively one of the more challenging off ice programs we do all year.


After finishing the first set, my mind mulled over two important questions:


“Why on Earth did I do all those extra Up-Downs the day before?  Knowing full well that today was going to be like this...”


and


“Are Jon and Jeroen on crack...?!”


Needless to say we finished it...  Barely...  If I’m not stronger physically...  Well then maybe I’m stronger mentally!?  Maybe.



Anna Advice: “Liam, you probably shouldn’t be allowed to play with yourself...”  (On the topic of my teeth incident, my skating and my in-lines)  


After she said it she instantly burst out laughing.  Maybe this was embarrassment but my bets are on the stunned expression swept across my face.  Anna is one of my amazing and awesome physiotherapists that keeps my body functioning at 110%.

No comments:

Post a Comment