Sunday, September 6, 2009

Hitchhiker's

I've been reading the Hitchhiker Trilogy all over again from beginning to end. I tell you, the jokes only get funnier with age. Plus it makes a lot more sense this time around.


While I was in Vancouver for Olympic Trials, I was in the process of reading a book on "optimal experience". It was an awesome book, but it wasn't giving me any “down” time away from skating or trials. I would pick up the book and start to read and within seconds my mind was racing with things pertaining to skating and competing.


So I went out with my Dad one day in search for a few books that would take my mind off skating, and would allow me to have the proper mental recovery I needed (I still read the book on optimal experience each day of competition).


Somehow we got on the topic of Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and ultimately I left the store with copies of the first two books. My Dad bought them for me as a gift (very nice of him), as I had read his copies back in high school and didn’t have my own.



I found it fitting to be reading them again. Not only because the books have a great message, but the new copies have those big bold friendly letters "DON'T PANIC" printed on the cover!


Ha ha.


Which considering the week I was going through, was the perfect advice.


I'm on book five right now, Mostly Harmless, it's a trilogy of five books. I'm sure it will make sense later people...

2 comments:

  1. Maybe a quote from Arthur Dent: "Just wait a sodding minute! You want a question that goes with the answer for 42? Well, how about what's six times seven? Or how many Vogons does it take to change a lightbulb? Here's one! How many roads must a man walk down?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, ya, I particularly like what it says at the beginning of the "Mostly Harmless":

    Anything that happens, happens.

    Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.

    Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.

    It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though.

    ReplyDelete