Thursday, August 27, 2009

Back!


Sorry, I know I promised I would update on Wednesday but I ended up getting in later than I expected from Medicine Hat.

Oh well, I'm back now. Officially! I guess, because "back" for me means back to skating. It was the first time in a week that I've done anything even remotely active... and it felt great... I've been holding back mainly to rest my ankle and also because of my mouth. I got an implant in and a bone graft done on last Thursday.

Both my mouth and ankle are doing a lot better though. I still feel some minor pressure points in my boot while I skate, but there is little to no pain! I even went out a did part of The Euro's lactic capacity program today (only one set but I hurt!). Don't ask, I more or less just do things based on feeling of the moment. And I don't regret it.

As for the vacation, it was great. Although, I don't think it made even a dent at those vacations I've missed out on. I didn't really get away from the thoughts surrounding trials. While in Medicine Hat I ended up doing a couple of interviews, even an in studio one with Chat TV yesterday. Doing them always brings up suppressed emotions.

I made it up to Edmonton for a few days to see my Baba and Gido (Grandma and Grandpa in Ukrainian) who always spoil me and give me tons and tons of homemade gingersnaps! As well as my sister Shalon. Who by the way is a complete and utter nerd... I mean that in a good way, she's super smart (much like my parents, damn her getting the useful genes), and even has some published physics papers with her name in them. She's not even done her undergrad! So with out a doubt, a nerd...

The funny part relating to all this, was some how I found myself stuck at one of her friends houses. Except, all the four of them talked about was work (nerd work), school (it's summer so... nerd) and scientific nerd shtuff they had heard or were in the process of reading up on... I think there was a moment of tension when someone brought up the finer points of string theory...

Cough, cough, yes exactly...

I was trying to be polite, but after about an hour and a half I couldn't take anymore... I started to drift off, I think at that point I turned around and attempted to pass out on the couch.

As for HOME, it was great! I didn't go outside of the house that often, other than to see my Grandma. Most or all of my friends from back home have either left or... Well I don't exactly know what happened to the other ones. That in itself may be the reason. But, mostly I stayed at the house, reading and relaxing as much as I could. Which was key. Being with my parents for more than a day was also important. They come through Calgary every so often, but it's never an extended visit. Which is what I really needed. My Mom even contracted me to bake a cheesecake for when my Uncle and Aunt came to visit! Of course I took all of the leftovers and am in fact consuming a very generous piece whilst I type. YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Are you implying that your father is a nerd???? Thanks? Your mother, however, may be offended. Shalon goes without saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you study skating just as much as they study physics so you are in fact a nerd if you think about it...just saying. See you soon I think. Can't believe you already got back on ice.

    ReplyDelete