Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Goodbye Vancouver...

I hurt my ankle when I toppled past the line Monday, a minor bone contusion and a slight ligament sprain (as if, eh!?). It made it difficult to put my boot on during the 1500 m's afterwards but I pulled through with a win in the B final (7th).

Unfortunately, today during the 1000 m semis with an almost sure advancement to the A final, I tweaked my ankle in the last corner before the finish and went flying into the boards. At that point I was done... Not mentally, but physically. I wanted to get back out there, but both Jon and Paul (physio) recommended I back off and not skate the last race. They didn't want me running the risk of turning a minor injury into a severe one.

That's not the way I'd like to have finished my first Olympic Trials. But, to be honest I guess it went well, although I'll carry the pain of that 500 m DQ for the rest of my life. Sounds depressing, but it's part of sport.

Anyways, after racing today my teammates and I took a well deserved trip to the beach for a few hours or R and R. I've just returned from a party that Red Bull put on for us at their private lounge downtown but now looking forward to returning to Alberta and spending some quality time with my family! Try and make up for the last 3 years of missed vacations and holidays when I was out competing and/or training.

Oh and that picture above, I'm not angry, I'm actually really happy! Super tired and sore, but still happy! That's me after my semis where I advanced into the 500 m A final Monday. AND YES, I'm missing a bottom tooth if you haven't figure it out yet... It's getting fixed. *sigh*

Peace out Vancouver!

PS: Here are some articles.

Vancouver Sun:


The Province:


and last but not least The Medicine Hat News:


Thanks Sean!

No comments:

Post a Comment