Saturday, June 4, 2011

From Penticton to France

Well I am off to Font-Romeu, France today. Gabby and I are killing time in the Montreal airport right now. We arrived around 1:30 p.m. local time and our next flight isn't until later tonight. As well, we have to wait for the rest of our teammates to show up before we can head through security.

So I guess I have no good excuse not to write an entry today.

We are in Font-Romeu until June 24th, where we will be skating at a very high altitude. From what I hear, this is where the French team spends are large part of their season training, it has been producing excellent results for them.

Both Gabby and I have experienced skating at high elevation before. This past season, we were in Erzurum, Turkey for the World University Games, and it was even higher. The first day, it felt like I had been punch in the face couple with a swift round house kick to the stomach. Two laps felt like forty, and a relay of 8 by 2 laps was almost unbearable. But we managed to skate well considering and I know I got some really good conditioning while I was there. We were only in Erzurum for four and a half days, so I'm very excited for what THREE full weeks can accomplish.

I think we also have a team trip to Barcelona, Spain planned. Just a weekend trip to bring us back down to sea level for a couple days. That should be exciting as well. I should also mention that I have never been to Europe before. I've somehow managed to float around it each time, only lay overs, which I don't count. So it is very exciting for me.

I haven't had much time for recovery yet, it's been a very busy season so far. We just got back from a bike camp in Penticton, BC. Despite the fact that I'm not big into long rides, I managed to enjoy myself. Unfortunately though, I spent a large amount of my free time studying, as I had a final Wednesday. Throw in a few molds for Apex Racing Skates, it proved to be a busy camp!

I am taking a course through Athabasca University, which couldn't have been a worse decision...
I remember having a rough time last year taking courses from them, but I managed to push through it and got some really good marks. I naturally assumed I could do the same again, but this year proved different.

You would think that when you write quizzes for a class they would be a good indication of what material will be covered on the final (especially when there is 10 of them consisting of 120 MC total and 50 long/short answers). Evidently, I was wrong.

I'm no slouch when it comes to doing things on my own either, so my recommendation: Steer clear!

Anyways, needless to say it's been a busy few weeks. I hope everyone is enjoying the sun now that it's out in Alberta! I will update as much as I can throughout my travels in France.


No comments:

Post a Comment