Saturday, December 12, 2009

Day 1 - National Team Trials Calgary

Well today was interesting. My heat involved me chasing a few guys down who decided to go for time... No idea why... All I remember is shaking my head when I saw them go. I passed them and finished 1st.

The Semi final was a little better (since no one went for time), I won the race and advanced to the A Final, where I met up with fellow team mate Michael Gilday.

Before stepping out onto the ice for our race, Antoine Gelinas-Beaulieu asked me if I "was ready to hurt". I shrugged, I wasn't exactly sure what he meant since 1500 m's always hurt for me. I should have guessed that he would go out for time... He pulled the first 10 laps of the race at an extremely fast pace, Gilday took over at that point and finished with a 2:06.565...

Yes, a 2:06.565...

Don't believe me? Check yourself...



That's like 4 seconds faster than the world record (2:10.639)... (Picture above is compliments of Alex Fishi!)

I managed to work myself from 6th to 3rd in the last 2 laps. I came in not far off Gilday, so needless to say I have an even faster 1500 m time now (to be accurate 3rd fastest in the world I'm guessing).

I'd like to note, that I did own the original Canadian Record, even though Speed Skate Canada never acknowledged it. It was announced that Michael broke Turcotte's old record, but it was actually mine. I did it last year at Winterfest... But it was ignored.

Anyways, congratulations to Gilday and nice work Antoine!

Tomorrow will be an eventful day as well, since it is the 500 m's!

No comments:

Post a Comment