Monday, December 14, 2009

National Team Trials #1 - Calgary


The up and downs of sport...

There is no denying it - both for results and emotions.

I had a great day on Saturday. Came 3rd in the 1500 m's, which for most people seems very uncharacteristic for me. But looking at the results, the whole weekend should be classified as unusual...

There was Sunday.

I'm sorry if I was a little depressing in that last blog entry. Looking back at it now, it wasn't a great moment for me. Writing that entry was tough, maybe I shouldn't have. But where's my honesty in that?

It was tough and it was how I felt.

I was really disappointed with the results. Nothing anyone could say could change my viewpoint for that moment. Especially, considering that it was the second Canadian Record stripped from me that weekend (even though SSC never acknowledged my 1500 m, set Friday February the 13th, 2009).

I won the C Final and came 9th in the 500 m's.

Monday was revitalizing. Somewhat...

Physically I was unwell.

I woke up with a pretty bad headache, sore throat and a plugged nose. I had felt the beginning stages of it Friday evening, but I wasn't too stressed about it. I knew I had a few days before I was going to feel the fatigue from it - which meant after the competition.

Mentally I was strong.

I was resolved on making the 1000 m's my best distance of the weekend. In truth, it's usually one of my worst distances though, but as I said... not this time.


I pulled every lap "wire to wire" in the Heats, Quarters and Semis - I was too stubborn to let anyone else take command of the races. I bulldozed myself into that A Final and finished 2nd behind Remi.

I maintain that I deserved the win, but it's Short Track. I won't get into the logistics of it because it would be reiterating everything I said from the outcome of Olympic Trials...

To finish of the weekend we had a 3000 m and a relay. I ended up coming in 6th in the 3000 m. I'm "OK" with that. I'm not very fond of that race.

In the relay, Marc-Andre got a strip early in the race and our team was shortened to 3 man exchanges... It was very tiring.

All in all, Monday was a very long day... I'd say, probably one of the longer days I've had competing. I got a full 8 hours last night, but my cold is out in full force. Fortunately, I have a day off to recover.

What luck!

And there you go, the "ups and downs" of National Team Trials.

If this were previous years, my best performance would have been the 500 m. I feel like it was the only thing that kept me on the team from year to year.

I'm still extremely strong in the 500 m's. But, bad luck happens... Ice breaks away and it's a good thing I can make up for it in the other distances.

In the end, it was a pretty good weekend. Thank you everyone for your support, especially to the family that came in from out of town to watch!

All the photos I've used here are from Alex Seleznyov, you can visit his website at:


Also, this last photo was taken by my sister of the posters that were set up for the trials!


No comments:

Post a Comment